What is your plan for assessing and encouraging emerging leaders in your organization? Do you hope a good idea will fall in your lap or are you proactively looking for ways to sift through your people? What if there was a way to take a common occurrence like a weather event and use it help you gauge your workforce?
Thankfully, there are lessons to be learned all around us! Everything and I
The three types of people in a weather-related event
As an exercise, watch for these three types of people to appear during your next weather event. It might be hard to spot at first, but you’ll find each of your emerging leaders will fall into one of these three categories.
- The excuse makers. These are the folks who use a weather event as an excuse to avoid something that they didn’t want to do in the first place. Or if they do it, it will be done haphazardly. These people tend to adopt a “Victim mentality” with most things.
- The neutralist. These folks don’t make excuses. Not much phases them. They won’t use the event as an opportunity to avoid work.
- The opportunists. This is not meant pejoratively. These folks take a weather event and they use it not only to stay positive but to pass on that positivity to others.
Looking through each response, you can already see which type some of the people in your organization fit into, can’t you? If you can’t, that might be a sign that you need a better grasp on how your people show up. To hear me expand on these three types of responses, make sure to listen to this episode!
Are you paying attention?
What will you do with the resources you have at your fingertips? Each person in your organization has a certain level of output they plan to contribute. For some, that level is at a good place, for others, it needs improvement. Which category best represents your emerging leaders?
Do you have a bunch of opportunists? Do you have too many excuse makers? One of the worst things that can happen to an organization is for excuse making to become the norm! It’s up to you to pay attention to your team, asses them, and provide them with opportunities to improve. Learn more about paying attention to your emerging leaders by listening to this episode!
Outline of This Episode
- [1:05] Everything is content!
- [2:30] The three types of people in a weather-related event.
- [5:30] Don’t let excuses get in your way!
Connect With Bruce
Subscribe to The Development Exponent on Apple Podcasts or Stitcher